Since 1989 when Google was launched, and gradually with internet connections all over the place, our life has become was easier.
At the moment Google search is on top of the list as a most used and best search engine. You might have a different opinion since sometimes it’s so difficult to find that specific thing you are looking for, and probably that’s because you don’t search it in the right way.
I will give you a couple of tips on how to make your searching on the internet easier and more accurate. The best thing about it, is that these tips will work with most search engines (and even some online libraries – you’re welcome dear student!).
- If you’re looking for a specific phrase, simply use quotes at the beginning and the end of the phrase. Ex: “how to get awesome grades” . This will filter the results and offer you only those links that have the phrase exactly as you wrote it;
- If you’re looking for a title/quote/lyrics and can’t remember a couple of words, just replace the blank spaces with ” * ” ;
- If you’re interested in finding out a little bit about a group of words, simply separate them with ” | ” Ex: dissertation | university | computing .This will find all the results that will have information about all those words put together;
- If you need results that will have certain words in it, then simply add a ” & ” between the words that interest you;
- If you need to search something on a specific site but can’t find the search bar, simply type in google the name of the site and then the thing that you’re interested in Ex: site:girltechweekly.wordpress.com iOS This way the results will only show findings from that website;
- If you’re looking for a template and can’t seem to find the right website then, the easy way to do it is to use the name of the document type that you’re interested in. Ex template cv:doc ;
- If you have a website and are curious if someone else is advertising your link simply type in “links” and then the name of the website . Ex: links:girltechweekly.wordpress.com ;
Did you knew these tips? Please leave a comment and let me know what you think about them.
0 comments on “How to find anything on the internet”